



CALIFORNIA
ASSOCIATION FOR
POSTSECONDARY
EDUCATION AND
DISABILITY

Executive Board Minutes

February 10, 2021

3-5pm

Zoom link: <https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/99894042116>

Attendees:

Nicole Smith, Chad Bowman, Edina Rutland, Vivian Ygloria, Krystle Taylor, Jennica Krause, Dawn Decker, Shaun Smith, Keith EllisTafoya, Mark Matsui, Denise Simpson, Bree Kennedy, Tim Kyllingstad, Jodi Johnson, Wil Francis, Jennifer O'Connor, Alina Sala, Adam Gottdank, Rachel Stewart, Daniel Avegalio, Deborah Michelle, Jenna French, Sheryl Kern-Jones, Darren Walters, Scott Brown, Derek Allenby

Rusty Krumm, Nathaniel Rice, Rick Scuderi, Laurie Vasquez, Lyn Clemons, Greg Ferrer, Jacqueline Rubalcaba, Gary Greco

A. Welcome, Introductions, and Call to Order (3:02pm)

- Approval of the Minutes from September 18, 2020
- Motion: Chad
Second: Alina

Approval Shaun Smith to take over as Financial Coordinator & Executive Assistant

Motion: Jennica

Second: Nicole

Floor opened for public comments (none were presented)

B. CAPED Conference: Lake Tahoe Update

Plan to be in person (Harrah's and Lake Tahoe Resort) Mon-Fri 10/4-10/8

One professional development day on 10/4 and 10/8 with main conference 10/5-10/7

Contract signed with the 2 hotels

*plan to offer some events virtually and reduced fee for those that cannot travel can still participate and gain some professional development.

C. CAPED Spring Drive-In

Chad: Same format as the Fall virtual conference

Will be confirming dates/times tomorrow (2/11/21) for event in April

Likely to be three ½ days but maybe adding a Social or fundraising event that allows for interaction

*Feedback from fall virtual was that it felt too disconnected

Still figuring out rates and potential discounts.

First meeting may take place next week to start the process (once every two weeks until it gets closer to the event)

Jenna: is there hope to have CIG meetings?

Chad: Yes, there is hope to have those breakouts in the evenings. That wants to be included to have a format and structure to facilitate that process

*Vivian will be working with us to determine any potential intentions to host workshops

D. Regional Coordinators Committee discussion

Nicole: Both Edina and I have met with Bree Kennedy (Chair) and Stormy Miller (Vice Chair). Bree will be serving as RC Chair. The CAPED officers and I all support the continued shared governance and will be putting in for expansion.

Bree: Brief PP presentation

Thank you for the response when there was dissolution of the regional coordinators without notice. That supports has provided us support to move forward. This was the only shared governance committee left. I apologize for limited information, but we were collecting information as it came, and we are now focused on solutions and how we can work with the chancellor's office.

Proposal:

-Rename: DSPS statewide advisory

-Expands DSPS advisory to include more depth and breadth

-Align work with the CO vision for success

-Action oriented proactive tasks

-Intentional advanced strategic planning

-Effective streamlined communication channel

Key components:

Members on the committee: Chancellor Dean, Chancellor Specialist, region rep A-G, CAPED members (2), student representatives (2), DSPS representative on CO SEA committee, DSPS representative on CO DEETAC Committee,

Total of 7 goals from the proposal. Each one aligns with a goal from the vision for success.

We ask for CAPED's full support and unity in moving forward with this proposal on reinstatement of this DSPS statewide committee into the chancellor's office participatory governance structure

Question:

Tim: TTAC has been left out and I have been on that one for 21 years now. Please include that.

Jenna: First, Bree thank you for jumping on this since the beginning and being a voice. This is very sensitive for LD field and others that have been dismantled. This is a time where we have to work together as group and send a strong message to support the field. I think this plan is great,

having students is great, and member from CAPED. But in the plan does it mention how often meetings will take place?

Chad: CO has told us it is not dissolved but in the last Directors meeting I shared openly, and we will hold them accountable. We support the RC and that is why we suggested Bree and Stormy to be a part of this and this need. Thank you for the work you have put in. As a statewide organization, we support you and I will continue to push Rebecca (from OC office) to support you.

Edina: Supports Jenna's comment about needing to identify when and how many times the OC will meet, who will be in those meetings, and work out those details.

Edina motions to support

Chad: second

All in favor, motion granted.

E. Listserv

Chad: we are looking at a different provider for service content. We are running into barriers on how we can use a more dynamic system. We do not want to move to a platform that is not accessible. Looking at different options for now.

Nicole: Some are concerned about the chancellor's office being on the listserv, but they do attend conference. So, we can have more conversations about that in the future.

F. Officer Updates

- President
 - Full support of RG and OC to sort this out. We want students with disabilities to be on the forefront of their minds. Recent meeting with OC, they understand this and know we plan to hold them accountable. Ensuring our voices are heard in support of our students.
 - plan to put out a president's message every couple of months. I may reach out to you or your Officer if you report to one for updates to include in this message to our constituents.
 - plan to revamp the website (working with Shaun/Mark); want it all to be up to date and consistent
 - financially we are really low in comparison to years past. Working with Dave (fundraising chair) to see where some opportunities may be. If you have any ideas please email myself and/or Dave.
- President Elect-advance
 - My first E-board meeting
 - RC topic was the most important at this time
 - I did send a card to Lucinda from CAPED in support of her.
 - I would like to set up some goals over the summer at the summer Advance, more information to come.
- Legislative Chair
 - Keith: legislative advocacy met 2/10/2021
 - Deferrals are being returned, the money that we should have gotten last year is being restored. DSPS is set to get a 2% COLA. Concerns around "hold harmless" and how it will impact DSPS when this comes to an end, fiscal cliff of sorts.
 - Concern with potential left-over money because the cost is different in this setting

vs traditional setting. Not much can be done in the legislative sphere but there is concern over that space.

Will be reaching out to other groups, like AHEAD, to ensure their priorities align with ours.

Two recent items:

-UC student association came out with an initiative to double the PEL grant. We will be drafting a letter of support

-Bill AB313, hiring and employing individuals with disabilities. I do not have all the salient information for that but will be drafting a letter in support of that as well.

- Past president

First meeting as part-president: I am here to support Nicole and all of you. Weird transition but happy to be here and accepting me into your ranks.

-My commitment is to hold the Chancellor's office accountable. I will do it in the most professional manner. If there is anything I can help out with, I am here for support. Dawn and I are looking for new ways to invigorate our members. COVID hit and people did not recommit to the Fall conference. We did purchase a ZOOM account and webinar feature, if a CIG covers the cost for the month we are happy to offer professional development to your CIGs. Please reach out to me or Dawn if this interests you. We have the webinar and ZOOM account so prof development can be done at cost of turning it on. We encourage you not to use your own CCCConfer Zoom due to conflict of interest.

- Membership Chair

Chad: working actively to get people to commit to coming back to CAPED. We represent 130 different college across California (CSU, UC, CCC). We are an inclusive body to represent everyone.

- VP Committees

Krystle: will be reaching out to get informal chats together for a game plan for engagement across the committees.

- Scholarship chair

Krystle: 2020 we have 50 applicants for our 9 scholarships. How do we get a greater reach for applicants to know we have scholarships? How do we help them become aware and apply?

If interested in offering a scholarship, please reach out so we can gather all the information needed to get it going for this year or next.

- Awards/Elections chair

Scott: The awards need to be sent to the recipients directly. Am I set to order those? Chad: yes!

Nicole: will get you in contact with fiscal coordinator to get a plan in place to order the awards.

- Futures chair

- Communiqué chair

Krystle: It is still open. If you have an article or dissertation that can be condensed to two pages, March 1st deadline for submission.

- Historian chair

Nicole: would like to archive some old agendas from conferences onto the websites would be helpful for people. And others with interest to join CAPED might appreciate seeing that type of information.

- VP CIGs

Vivian: CIG chairs met 2/09/21. Recent changes to chairs. Excited for development seminars for the fall and participating in the spring drive-in

- APE

Jennifer: meet every other week for the past year. Working to find best videos/course content. More than 25 schools meeting regularly

- Access Tech

Mike:

Vivian: meet regularly and will be looking for a Norther AT chair.

- ID/ASD

Adam & Alina

Adam: meet regularly. Joined by Wil Francis for some focus groups (4 meetings). Wanted to check in with schools to see how they were making it online and what resources they needed. Wil and Alina are working to summarize that data to share with our colleagues around the state. Decided to meet every other month for informal chat or formal webinar.

Alina: tracking students that we have lost. Some schools have seen a decline of ID/ASD. What kinds of strategies can we put in place to get these students that we have lost to come back when we return to campus?

- DHH

Ken

Vivian: mentioned collaboration for a DHH scholarship. Wants to collaborate more with other CIGS, like LD, many DHH have coexisting disabilities.

- Program management

Chair: Janice

Co chair: Malia Flood

Vivian: Working with Pacific center for possible development seminar. Will be in touch for updates soon.

- Counseling and Career/ Veterans

Chair: Daniel A

Darren: Had a great meeting at CAPED, big group. Excited for the year. Worked on getting Derek settled in. Plan to meet next week or the week after to get things set up for spring drive in and CAPED in October.

Rachel: started the month with career program meet-up. Wanted to offer an area to connect and we had 17 people at first meeting. And will be holding them monthly with hopes for more engagement moving forward.

- LD

Sheryl

Jenna: excited to have Sherly join the group.

Formed the representative council in our CIG and meets weekly. Working on a white draft for the LD field, early stages of a paper. Worked to ask the trainers to

take the LDESM off dtps solutions website and not be public. Will be presenting at the FACCC conference about advocacy and policy, regarding how LD specialists are handling covid/testing and what they are doing to support students with LD.

Word groups: 1) Return to campus and guidance for LD specialist and how that will look in a testing environment

2) Online best practice strategies that we are hoping to present at the spring drive in

- Career Development
Chair: Derek Allenby

- Secretary

Jennica: working on agendas and minutes for accuracy and approval to be posted on the website for access.

- Treasurer

Dawn: Big change within CAPED, Allison and Kin stepped down. We are trying to get a clear picture of what is going on. I have been in this position for a year and I am now able to communicate what I am actually doing.

CIG members should have received an email with your balances (if not, then it is incorrect, and the update need to happen before sending them out)

Scholarship balance: \$20,000

Betty Bacon account lost money because it is in a money market ~\$288,000 in account

Membership and services need to all be in one place. Conferences, CIG events throughout the year. Membership through an automatic renewal process. Trying to have an active store if people want to buy CAPED swag. Budget maintenance. Looking for one software to integrate everything, including a Listserv. I want us to move forward and be progressive with our site and engage with us.

G. E-Board Member Updates

- CMP Updates

Denise: Our paired Mentors and Protégés continue to meet regularly. We have our Canvas class offering new topics weekly and Zoom presentations monthly. We recently had a session on Leadership, in February we have a Budget Panel and Paul Grossman is doing a two-day session in March. Lucinda appreciates the love and support from her CAPED family.

- Fiscal Coordinator/Executive Assistant

Shaun:

Conference balance: \$7,705

General Ledger Balance: \$19,311.79- this is allocated as \$15,462 to the CMP program, \$3,839 is for CAPED general expenses.

Allison and I discussed to meet with financial committee to move money from FTJ to general ledger to cover some costs.

Website: going to start digging in and updating the old items. If you have any suggestions go ahead send me an email.

- Regional Coordinator chair update
Bree: proposal was focus but next meeting I will have update
- CSU chair
Jodi Johnson: Thank you for having me as a part of this group. I am new and excited to see how we, the CSU system, can work together to support each other.
Nicole: we want more CSU and UC involvement, so please let us know what we can do to help the support the CSU's
- UC chair
Wil Francis: I am also new to the CAPED E-Board. Today, I am sharing a plan, and hopefully at our next meeting, I will share progress towards implementing the plan. The plan is to increase the number of UC professionals who are members of CAPED, and the overall engagement of CAPED with the UCs and vice-versa. The purpose of my activities will be to: 1) increase the number of University of California professionals who are active and engaged CAPED members, and 2) serve as the liaison to transmit information from CAPED to the UCs, and vice-versa. The Initial Strategy is to increase the enthusiasm and engagement of current and recent UC-CAPED members by 1) identifying current and recent paid members, and build momentum across the UCs by first engaging with current/recent members, 2) examining the extent to which professional networking and camaraderie exists among UC professionals, and to leverage existing relationships to increase UC professional membership in CAPED, and to disseminate information from CAPED to the UCs, and from the UCs to CAPED, 3) surveying the field (UC professionals as targets) to learn what their needs are for professional development and networking, and share that information with CAPED, 4) identifying strengths, challenges, and opportunities to determine potentially beneficial spaces for collaboration between the UCs and CAPED, and 6) providing ongoing support by learning how CAPED may contribute to the ongoing support of UCs, and how the UCs envision they may engage and contribute to the further development of CAPED as a professional organization

Nicole: of all the college communities, UC is where we have the least amount of involvement. Please let us know how we can encourage and facilitate this involvement
- Website
Mark: Will be meeting with Arman for website. Looking forward to the string drive in.
Nicole: Armand would be great to connect with Shaun for the website.

H. Additional Items

Tim: ZOOM added auditor AI, not an additional payment. It is built into zoom now. All zoom sessions will be transcribed (not captioned). But it is a good transcript. I bring this up because if we have our own zoom we need to ensure that AI piece in the CAPED account.

Mark: I see the live one in my private zoom account; I assume the CAPED one has it as well.

Jenna: I would like to retouch on the RC topic. It sounds like the new plan for the advisory group is the only legislative communication channel to the chancellor's office, not CAPED. Is this correct?

-Nicole: That is incorrect. RC will be serving in that capacity but the chancellor's office will be joining all of our officer meetings. In addition, CAPED has a legislative body that supports legislation so we will be working together collectively for legislative action.

-Bree: we will be working with CAPED and figure out what the clear communication channel is. We haven't ironed out all of the details but it is an important next step.

Edina: When will there be meetings? How is that structure going to work?

-Nicole: Bree is the chair for RC. She will update us on their meetings. There will be 2 CAPED reps on RC committee, so we will be able to meet without adding additional meetings to everyone's schedules. Frequent communication to ensure we have the same goals and missions.

Jenna: want to propose another Eboard meeting for an update to support Bree and the RC.

Perhaps a monthly meeting.

-Nicole: Will definitely take that into consideration. We will gauge how things go and make sure communication is there. There are also other opportunities for communication such as the listserv via president memos and the website.

E-board meets 2x/year. First one is usually in March but we moved it up in support of the RC committee.

Nicole: Thank you all for being a part of CAPED and continuing to support students. We know it is a very tough time. I spent my whole day checking in students and being on zoom. I am sure you all have different things you are working through on your respective campuses. This communication and engagement are so vital. Thank you so much! Please be on the lookout for the minutes for review before being posted on the website.

Meeting Adjourned @4:52pm by Nicole Smith